Global Food Venture Programme
For PhDs who want to unlock their entrepreneurial potential and shape the future of our Food System
The EIT Food PhD-labelled pan European programme aims to create highly talented and entrepreneurial PhDs that will catalyse transformations in the agrifood sector.
The programme raises awareness of the current Food issues and challenges with a practical learning approach designed by the six EIT Food Partners involved. The main focus areas include:
- entrepreneurial and critical thinking
- business development
- industry involvement
- engagement with a pan-European network
As a PhD, you have the unique chance to interact with international business coaches, technology experts, and successful agrifood startups or scale-ups. There are many opportunities to join pitch competitions and international events, receive warm introductions, and access EIT Food's vast network of prestigious corporate, academic partners and alumni (through its platform FoodHive, and many online or physical events).
Participants can take the individual courses or complete the full GFVP and receive the prestigious EIT PhD Label certificate*. Courses include:
- An Introduction to Food Systems: Scientific, Technical and Socioeconomic Principles to Facilitate the Creation of Food Value Networks: 4-weeks online course with live lectures series, your step into the work of Food Systems.
- Pathways to Impact: 6-week online course where you will learn how to create clear value propositions from your research. [Competency Framework Level: Practice - turn ideas into action]
- From Impact to Realisation: This course is about building the innovation and entrepreneurship skills set around important things you need to know when starting to think of developing an agri-food business. [Competency Framework Level - Master: deliver impact within your field of influence and sector]
All courses are accredited and designed according to the EIT Food Education Competency Framework, which means that you will progress from Explore level to Master level.
EIT Label for PhDs
By completing all courses, the Label Fellows receive the notable EIT label certificate, as the international recognition of their high education quality achievement. The EIT label certificate is recognised inside the student PhD diploma supplement of their host University.
In addition to these components, Label participants are required to complete a 2-3 month internship in industry. This experience allows them to gain firsthand insights into the challenges faced by the industry, whilst acquiring practical professional experience. It should be emphasised that throughout their Label journey, participants receive valuable mentoring from both industry and academic partners.
The EIT Label is a quality seal awarded to excellent master and doctoral programmes with strong focus on innovation and entrepreneurial education, aligned with the EIT specific learning outcomes and other quality criteria required for the EIT Label. You can find more info on the EIT label and the EIT Overarching Learning Outcomes at https://eit.europa.eu/our-activities/education/eit-learning-outcomes.
No matter if you have a breakthrough idea or not, GFVP puts you in the centre of a network that will test your business idea, giving you the tools to see beyond technology. It was a rewarding self-improvement experience, both personal and professional.
The GFVP was an amazing experience from the beginning; coaching helped me through all the steps. The Programme improved my entrepreneurial mindset, and my project had an organic evolution.