Food Solutions takes real-world sustainability challenges faced by the food industry and supports multi-disciplinary teams to find innovative new solutions with the potential to transform the food system.
Mentoring by industry experts and teaching delivered by our academic partners equips teams with the specialist knowledge they need to tackle their challenge. This is paired with a thorough course on innovation and entrepreneurship, led by world experts, to take students through their entrepreneurial journey from scoping out a potential market to pitching their final concept to industry at the end of the programme.
Teams from previous Food Solutions cohorts have gone on to establish their solution as a start-up venture!
“[Food Solutions] gave me the opportunity to challenge myself in completely new ways, while trying to turn an idea into reality.”
- 2021 Food Solutions student
Take a look at some of the highlights from Food Solutions 2020 in the video below:
In 2021, over 130 Food Solutions students are working to tackle the following industry challenges:
- 'Empty All': How can we reduce unintended food and packaging waste by improved packaging design and technology?
- 'FoodFE' (Food for the elderly): Can we design novel food products for the elderly that address the issue of loss of taste, palatability, and efficiency of nutrient uptake?
- 'GrOAT': The challenge is to design an innovative, healthy and sustainable product using an oat-based ingredient
- 'DIG-it': Can we identify gaps and opportunities across the food value chain to apply state of the art digital technologies to create new innovations?
A previous Food Solutions cohort were provided a challenge by Colruyt Group to create new, innovative food products from residual materials. Read more about the students' work and how they tackled that challenge here!
Would you like to know more about Food Solutions? Are you interested in getting involved? Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.