The current state of the food system is a leading cause of some of the biggest challenges that our world is facing, from climate change, pollution and waste, to malnutrition, disease and obesity.
Food systems challenges are complex and no country or organisation will be able to solve them alone.
We have just eight years left (until 2030) to meet the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and we have to move together towards these goals, leaving no one behind.
What is the UN Food Systems Summit 2021?
The UN Secretary-General, António Guterres, will convene a Food Systems Summit as part of the Decade of Action to achieve the SDGs by 2030. The Summit will launch bold new actions to deliver progress on all 17 SDGs, each of which relies to some degree on healthier, more sustainable and equitable food systems.
What is EIT Food’s role at the UNFSS?
Supported by the EU, EIT Food leads Europe’s largest and most dynamic food innovation community. We accelerate innovation to build a future-fit food system that produces healthy and sustainable food for all. We are excited to collaborate with the UNFSS to accelerate achievement of the SDGs in this Decade of Action to deliver game-changing solutions that transform the food system, from farm to fork.
Collaborating with our industry, retail, research, civil society and policy partners, we are launching the most comprehensive and scientifically-sound environmental food labelling initiative, Enviroscore, as part of the UNFSS drive for game-changing solutions. After three years of collaboration on data collection, life cycle analysis methodology development, design, consumer co-creation and insights, our eco-impact score will provide much needed information to consumers to increase their awareness about the environmental impact of the food that they consume.
Our community of experts are also leading initiatives that:
How you can support the UNFSS ambitious goals
- As an agrifood entrepreneur developing people-centric and systemic innovations, find out how you can get involved here.
- As part of the future generation of food entrepreneurs, find out how you can get involved through our work in schools and universities here.
- As an expert in the food system, you can become a food systems hero to learn, share, gather and act for food systems transformation. Find out more here.
- Join the conversation on social media by using #UNFSS2021 and tagging EIT Food on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- As a medical doctor or professional, you can take part in our online course on nutrition and nutrition interventions, launching in July 2021 at the UN Food Systems Pre-Summit. The course has been produced by the University of Reading, the University of Torino, the University of Hohenheim, the University of Groningen, IMDEA Food Institute and the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), in collaboration with experts from Harvard University and the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA). Composed of 12 hours of learning broken down in three weeks, learners can study at their own pace, at any time, on any device. Register here.