Learn how a healthy microbiome can combat disease. The microbiome, i,e the microbes that live within the human body can have a huge impact on human health. As such, it’s vital to understand the complexity of the microbiome, and how it can impact on disease and wellbeing.
On this course, you’ll go on a fascinating journey into the human body – down to the gut – where the ecology and roles of the human microbiome will be narrated. You’ll explore how your microbiome changes throughout your life, reflect on the role of food in its modulation, and explain the functions the microbiome has in the gastrointestinal tract in daily life.
Who should join the course
This course is for anyone interested in subjects related to the human microbiome, how food can influence it, and how this resultantly impacts on human health.
The course will have multiple runs in 2020 and 2021.
Learning objectives and outcomes
Once completed, participants will be able to:
- Describe how the human microbiome changes throughout the human life
- Reflect on the role of food in the modulation of human microbiome
- Explain the functions that human microbiome has in the gastrointestinal tract
- Reflect on the links between human microbiome and diseases
- Discuss the topics of the course and their relationship with daily life
- Assess the complexity of the human microbiome communities
How to join the course :
This course is available on FutureLearn: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/the-human-microbiome