A short online course
The course focuses on:
- The stakeholders involved in the seafood value chain
- The growth of seafood demand and its impact
- Seafood production and consumption
- Challenges of aquaculture management
- Consequences of unsustainable practices
- Opportunities in the seafood industry
- Solutions to improve aquaculture management.
Who should join the course:
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about the environmental and social impacts of the fishing industry.
Whether you want to become a conscious consumer, you’re a marine biology student, or you’re simply curious about fishing and the environment, this course will help you gain knowledge of sustainable seafood.
The course will have multiple runs from 2022 onwards.
Learning objectives and outcomes
Once completed, participants will be able to:
- Identify the environmental impacts of fisheries, and fisheries management practices and innovations that make it more sustainable
- Explore the fish farming food chain and its environmental and socio-economic impacts
- Evaluate the benefits and limitations of varying aquaculture species on health and the environment
- Explore ocean science and marine technologies
- Identify or critique ‘sustainable’ seafood products as a consumer
- Apply your understanding to address the sustainability challenges of consuming living marine resource
How to join the course:
This course is available on FutureLearn: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/sustainable-seafood