From Waste to Value: How to Tackle Food Waste
Discover the causes and impact of food waste, and learn how you can tackle it on a personal, community, and national level.
We are in a food waste crisis where 1/3 of all food is lost or wasted. As such, reducing the amount of food we waste has never been more important. Food is wasted for many reasons. For example, often we buy more food than we need or cook meals that create unwanted leftovers, and then we throw the uneaten food away. Sometimes, we forget about the food in our fridge and cupboards, so it goes past its use-by date, and we dispose of it.
This course will cover the latest trends and best practices in reducing food waste, from farm to fork. Whether you're a home cook, a chef, or a business owner, this course offers valuable information and actionable steps to make a positive impact on the planet.
What can we do to tackle food waste? To help consumers with the possible answers to all these questions, EIT Food is sponsoring a short online course hosted on FutureLearn. Participants will have free and unlimited access to the course content.
The course “From Waste to Value: How to Tackle Food Waste” is composed of 9 hours of learning broken down in 3 modules. Upon completion, you will receive a CPD accredited Learning Certificate, which demonstrates your commitment to stay informed and updated on the latest developments and best practices in the agrifood sector.
On this course, participants will explore how you – as a consumer – can act and inspire others to reduce food waste effectively and sustainably. They’ll learn what food waste is, and why it matters, and gain practical information on how to be an agent of change both personally and politically. They’ll also discover how the circular economy provides a framework for discovering solutions to this issue and hear from companies that are making a difference.
Our mission is to help everyone to discover the causes and impact of food waste and learn how you can tackle it on a personal, community, and national level. We want to allow consumers to compare the practices of different retailers and discover the innovations that are helping them to reduce waste, and to reflect on how changes in the way we shop, cook and store food can help reduce food waste.
Additionally, a CPD accredited course is recognised by professional bodies, which can be beneficial for career advancement and opportunities.
Timeline of the programme
The course will be available on demand all year round,
Once completed, participants will be able to:
- Evaluate the causes of food loss and food waste and assess the effect on the planet in terms of food security, sustainability and climate change
- Reflect on your own personal contribution to the problem and explore the potential of the waste hierarchy and the circular economy to suggest solutions
- Investigate how changes in the way we shop, cook and store food can help reduce food waste
- Collaborate to produce actionable changes that can make an impact on your own community
- Compare the practices of different retailers and discover the innovations that are helping them to reduce waste
- Engage with the policies of national governments and the EU and help improve the sustainability of the food system in your country
How to join the course
This course is available on FutureLearn: