The EIT Food website is not compatible with Internet Explorer. Please visit our website with another browser, like Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari, for the best possible experience.
Dairy products with reduced saturated fatty acids

Dairy products with reduced saturated fatty acids

Saturated fat intake in most EU states still exceed the guidelines for reducing cardiovascular disease risk.

Dairy foods are major sources of saturated fatty acids (SFA) in many EU diets but are also crucial sources of key nutrients, and have other functions. Replacing traditional dairy foods with SFA reduced/monounsaturated fatty acid enriched foods would have a major effect on reducing dietary SFA intake. Earlier research has established the process for producing this modified milk with indications that the process also leads to reduced methane production by the cow and hence milk with reduced carbon footprint. The work started at TRL 5/6 in Year1 involved production of the normal and modified dairy foods together with their sensory assessment and consumer acceptance studies. Year 2 will examine the nutritional/health aspects of the foods to enable the production of new retail foods.

Partners

The following partners are involved in the project

UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI
UNIVERSITY OF READING
VALIO

Project team

Ian Givens
Institution

University of Reading

Contact details

d.i.givens@reading.ac.uk

Related projects

Improving trust on fish chain: Rapid and portable monitoring tools for a better control of whitefish
Innovation

Improving trust on fish chain: Rapid and portable monitoring tools for a better control of whitefish

This project provides three rapid, hand-held tools for enhancing the trust in fish products. The objective of this collaboration is to generate real-time, reliable, portable and friendly-to-use monitoring devices that...

PHENOLIVA: Treatment and valorisation of olive mill wastes - Application of olive polyphenols to food
Innovation

PHENOLIVA: Treatment and valorisation of olive mill wastes - Application of olive polyphenols to food

Only 20% of the olive fruit result in Extra-Virgin Oil, the remaining 80% are waste (olive pomace). Most Mediterranean countries face serious environmental and economic problems handling this waste as its chemical...

TRACOD – Model-based Tracking of Cod and Other Fish Value Chain for Consumer Confidence Boosting and Food Engineers Education
Innovation

TRACOD – Model-based Tracking of Cod and Other Fish Value Chain for Consumer Confidence Boosting and Food Engineers Education

We propose to use model-based systems engineering (MBSE) and conceptual modeling for two purposes: model the function, structure, and behavior of the entire “farm-to-fork” food value chain, ultimately...

Related articles

Results of EIT Food Consumer Engagement Labs selection process, 2020 Consumer Behaviour

Results of EIT Food Consumer Engagement Labs selection process, 2020

13 March 2020

EIT Food has announced that 6 consortia of scientific organisations, companies and startups have been selected for the EIT Food RIS Consumer Engagement Labs activity. Altogether 8 applications were received from Estonia,....

Sustainably feeding the world in 2050: Are efficiency and equity the answer? Health & Nutrition

Sustainably feeding the world in 2050: Are efficiency and equity the answer?

20 August 2019

Feeding the world in 2050 will be challenging. With increasing numbers of mouths to feed, overstretched land resources and the threats to our food system posed by climate change; could efficiency....