Explore how technology and digitalisation can change how the food system operates, reducing waste and environmental pressures.
Food quality and safety is increasingly under threat as natural resources are stretched by climate change, hunger, and explosive population growth.
On this course, you’ll learn how the food sector can respond to these challenges by adopting innovative tech. You’ll discover how data-enabled technologies are becoming more accessible and affordable, driving a revolution in how the food business operates.
You’ll identify how these innovations can make the food chain and food systems more efficient and productive, allowing them to contribute to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
What topics will you cover?
- The challenges in the food system: from feeding a growing population, the competition for resources, climate change, the complexity of the global food chain to the double burden of malnutrition
- How innovation and digitalisation of the food chain can play an important role in overcoming the challenges in the food system
- State of the art technologies across the entire food chain, from farm to fork, that have the potential to transform the food system; and achieve productive, nutritious, sustainable and transparent food systems that contribute to global food security and the sustainable development goals
- The management perspectives – economic, environmental, technical, political, welfare and market factors – stakeholders and/or entrepreneurs must consider before introducing and/or adopting technology in the food chain
Who should join the course
Everyone is welcome to join for general interest purposes. This course would appeal to professionals working in the agri-food sector, and entrepreneurs and enterprises looking to transform the food sector with technological advancements and new trends.
The course will have multiple runs in 2020 and 2021.
Learning objectives and outcomes
Once completed, participants will be able to:
- Assess the issues in transitioning to a digitalised food system – economic, environmental, technical, political, welfare and market factors
- Identify the issues related to a sustainable and innovative food system which delivers the dietary needs of a rising population in a safe, sustainable and responsible way
- Explore the different technologies which can transform the food sector
- Develop an appreciation of the economic, environmental and health benefits which digital technology can offer the food system
How to join the course
This course is available on FutureLearn: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/revolutionising-the-food-chain