Ga verder naar de inhoud

About Phenoliva

Only 20% of the olive fruit results in Extra-Virgin Oil, with the remaining 80% going to waste (olive pomace).

Olive oil production is responsible for large amounts of agricultural by-products generally considered as waste to be disposed of. Only 20% of the olive fruit result in Extra-Virgin Oil, the remaining 80% are waste (olive pomace). Most Mediterranean countries face serious environmental and economic problems handling this waste as its chemical composition creates challenges for stability, recycling and further processing. However, olive pomace has some unique properties - most of all its high content in olive antioxidants - which makes this by-product a very interesting, abundant and low-cost resource for a wide range of value-added products.

Phenoliva pursues three major goals. First, to tap this very abundant and largely unexploited, low-cost resource of powerful, natural antioxidants meeting the increasing consumer demand for natural, healthy food ingredients. Second, to reduce the environmental impact of the olive oil industry by tackling a long-standing and to date unsolved waste management problem with a circular approach. Third, Phenoliva connects different regions across Europe and aims to strengthen the exchange between partners from primary production, food industry, research institutes and academia which opens opportunities for business-creation and supplementary income streams for local SMEs.

more close

PHENOLIVA: Treatment and valorisation of olive mill wastes - Application of olive polyphenols to food