Ten international agrifood startups have been selected to participate at the EIT Food FAN accelerator in Bilbao
A total of 593 applications have been submitted to this third edition of EIT FAN, 117 more than last year. Of all of them, 107 showed up to participate in Bilbao. Finally, the 60 most cutting edge have been chosen to participate in the six venues, ten in each one, and the Biscayan will supervise both national startups (Navarra, Barcelona, Madrid and Alicante) and international ones (Portugal, England, France). , Netherlands, Greece and Switzerland).
EIT Food has sought out the leading startups of the agrifood sector in Southern Europe to help them grow and open a gap in the international market. That is the objective of the EIT Food Accelerator Network (FAN) entrepreneurship program, which celebrates its third edition this year and gives young companies the opportunity to stand out in Europe. This activity is included within the entrepreneurial strategy of the Basque Government.
After receiving applications from different countries, a total of ten international startups have been chosen to participate in the accelerator of the EIT Food headquarters for Southern Europe, in the Bizkaia Science and Technology Park
The ten selected agrifood startups focus on different areas of the sector: personalized nutrition, alternative proteins, sustainable agriculture and digital traceability. All of them are developing innovative solutions with the potential to revolutionize the European market.
- Genbiome Applications seeks solutions for people in early stages of diabetes.
- Oscillum develops sensors for the food industry; Specifically, it has developed SmartLabel, a smart label that determines the freshness of food with a simple color change.
- Activa Proyectos Tech has developed the Plantae® technology, which allows optimizing the irrigation of crops wirelessly, increasing productivity.
- ColorSensing, dedicated to the area of digital traceability, helps packaged food manufacturers and retailers reduce waste.
- AgriStarBio seeks to make agriculture more sustainable through the manufacture of top quality sustainable organic fertilizers. It does so from biosolids with no emissions, which protect water, soil and air at a competitive cost.
- Wisecrop is an easy-to-use, centralized online interface to fully manage agricultural businesses, seamlessly connecting field with the office, boosting productivity and sustainability.
- Kyanos provides an innovative technology and a microalgae, which has more than 60% protein and all essential amino acids, and seeks to turn it into a new and important sustainable protein source.
- Earth Rover Europe seeks to make fresh, chemical-free products the new norm. To do this, it uses robotic 'Rovers' that help producers reduce dependence on chemical aerosols and sell more and waste less.
- Epinutra has developed the Benesco ™ food supplement, which treats pain caused by heartburn.
- Solmeyea is dedicated to producing high-value food and feed proteins based on high-value ingredients, through vertical cultivation of microalgae at low cost and with a lower carbon footprint. To do this, it uses the CO2 and sunlight available in the environment.
All of them will participate in the Bilbao campus, where for four months they will obtain professional support from top level experts, access facilities, clients and financing, and acquire skills to grow in the market. They will also have the opportunity to work closely with EIT Food mentors and partners (including large firms in the agrifood industry such as Logifruit, John Deere, Pascual, Bühler, or investment funds such as PeakBridge and will be able to receive support in their financing.
Partners of this years program: Danone, Grupo AN, PeakBridge, Azti, Neiker, Basque Culinary Center, and the University of Turin (UNITO), in addition to the collaboration of the Basque Government.