Food safety is highly regulated. Yet, one blind spot is the migration of molecules from contact materials in kitchenware into food. Particular attention needs to be placed on chemicals present at low doses but acting on the endocrine system over a long time.
On this course, you’ll learn about these endocrine disrupters and their potential impact on human health and the environment.
You’ll evaluate how chemicals can migrate from packaging and slowly affect our endocrine health, and how tests can check for safety. Ultimately, you’ll better understand how we can improve food safety in general.
What topics will you cover?
- The potential risks for global health and for the environment derived from packaging
- The stakeholders involved in the safety of packaging and how they are connected
- How research in chemistry, biology and material science is contributing towards safer food
- The role that consumers plays in order to improve safety
- The measures put in place by the industry, governments and the EU to ensure safe packaging
Who should join the course
This course is for anyone interested in potential health risks derived from food packaging and kitchenware, and in particular from chemicals migrating from packaging into food and drink.
This could include healthcare workers, parents, pregnant women, and anyone with an interest in health and food safety.
The course will have multiple runs in 2020 and 2021.
Learning objectives and outcomes
Once completed, participants will be able to:
- Reflect on the importance of safe food packaging and kitchenware in your daily life and choices
- Evaluate how chemicals can migrate from packaging and slowly affect our endocrine health
- Assess how chemical and biological tests are done and evaluate their importance for safety
- Describe the professional roles of all stakeholders in the business of food safety in general
- Discuss the topics of the course with increased knowledge and contribute to global awareness
- Interpret information and news with increase critical sense, especially when dealing with consumers’ health and protection
How to join the course
This course is available on FutureLearn: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/consumers-and-environmental-safety-food-packaging-and-kitchenware/1