Start online course: Improving Food Production with Agricultural Technology and Plant Biotechnology
Learn how to address challenges in growing, harvesting, and processing food
Are you inspired to join the next generation of scientists and tackle challenges in food security? On this course, you will get access to innovative research solutions that address some of the biggest issues in food, agriculture, and plant biotechnology.
You will become more familiar with the journey plants take, from crops in the field to food on your plate. You will explore the importance of scientific research in food security and discover the new technologies that are transforming agriculture.
What topics will you cover?
Week One: Plant biotechnology
- Solutions to food production challenges (pathology, pests, environmental stress, climate change) e.g. genetics
- Alternatives to plant biotechnology e.g. biological control
Week Two: Agricultural technology
- Challenges in the field e.g. soil structure, climate, yield, disease
- A history of agricultural technology and today’s new technologies e.g. cutting-edge precision agriculture
Week Three: Food science
- Solutions for altering plant-based foods to create supermarket food products
- Examples of post-harvest food processing, e.g. creating pectins and sweeteners out of fruit by-products
When would you like to start?
Starting date is the 2nd of March 2020, but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Most online courses also run multiple times a year.