CHALLANGE LAB 2023 – Slovenia
EIT Food HUB Slovenia is organising Challenge Lab 2023 again after one year. This year we are focusing on the challenge of insect bioconversion in agri-food industry.
In three workshops, applicants will have the opportunity to gain expert knowledge on insect bioconversion and work in groups monitored by the working expert mentors. The workshops will highlight a broader picture of the concept of circularity, bioconversion, circular system, proteins in the food chain and in animal feed, interchangeability and alternative decarbonization of frass. The content will be presented by Slovenian experts from various organisations, institutions and NGOs. Insects will also be presented from an entomologist's point of view,
The first workshop of Challege Lab will be held on May 25. The second and third workshops will be held as a two-day camp event on June 2 and 3. Participants will work in groups to find solutions to insect bioconversion challenges using the extended "Design Thinking" method. This is a process of redefining the problem by understanding the user and creating and testing innovative solutions. The method is often used in large organisations and is particularly useful for solving challenging and ill-defined problems, which is welcome in the food supply challenge.
Anyone who likes challenges can apply - students from different faculties, PhD students, young researchers and anyone interested in innovation and solving complex socio-economic challenges.
No prior experience and knowledge is required.
- Get great experience in solving real-life complex challenges.
- Get involved in finding solutions for a better tomorrow.
- Develop an idea to start your own business in a highly topical area.
- Learn how to maximise your success in developing your business idea.
- Gain public speaking skills.
- Meet great people interested in current social issues.
- Compete for attractive prizes.
Thursday, 25th May 2023: Challenge Lab workshop 1
16:00 – 16:30 Opening sessions – organizers and guest speakers
16:30 – 17:15 Expert insight into the Challenge – PART 1
- The concept of circularity, bioconversion, big picture of the circular system
- Proteins in the food chain and in animal feed, interchangeability
- Municipal biowaste management and potentials in insect bioconversion
17:15 – 17:30 Break
17:30 – 18:00 Expert insight into the Challenge – PART 2
- Insects - An entomologist's view
- Alternative decarbonisation frass
18:00 – 19:00 Group formation and Design Thinking method presentation
- Presentation of the challenge of insect bioconversion in Slovenia
- Design Thinking and teamwork with the mentors
Friday, 2nd June 2023 at 3:00 pm: Challenge Lab workshop 2
- Opening sessions by organizers
- Food CEO quiz – insect to food production
- Get to know important experts from the field
- Speed-dating with experts from the field and teamwork
Saturday, 3rd June 2023 at 8:00 am: Challenge Lab workshop 3
8:00 – 9:00 EIT Breakfast and opening sessions organizers
9:00 – 11:00 Free time for teamwork with mentors
11.00 – 12:00 Worksop: How to give a good presentation
12:00 – 12:30 Lunch
12:30 -15:00 Free time for teamwork with mentors
15:00 – 18:00 Closing programme
- Presentation of the Jury
- Team presentations
- CEO view on protein transition
- Results and winners announcement
18:00 – 20:00 Closing party with event sponsors