Alternative Proteins Challenge with the Science Entrepreneur Club and EIT Food
About this event
In the global race towards reduced carbon emissions, some contenders are aiming for your plate.
Did you know that the meat industry is believed to create as much greenhouse gas emissions as all the world’s cars, trucks and airplanes combined ? Customers worldwide seem to be getting the message and shifting their interest - and shopping lists - towards the food of the future. Alternative protein options account for 1% of the total protein market but are predicted to reach $1.1 trillion by 2040 , or about 60% of the total meat market, making alternative proteins a ticking time bomb! Quoting McKinsey and Co: “the race for market share is on” .
Are you curious about what we will be eating in 50 years, or interested in investing in the next trend? The Science Entrepreneurs Club (SEC) joined forces with EIT Food to exchange views and perspectives on the fast-growing alternative protein ecosystem.
We are also building a community for bio-innovators in AgriTech at the SEC, powered by EIT and Investor Ladder. Join the networking session after the event to learn more and find exciting opportunities!
- 5:30pm - 6:30pm: panel discussion
- 6:30pm - 7:00pm networking sessions with our start-ups, EIT food and Investor Ladder.
- Cai Linton - Multus. Multus is enabling the cultivated meat industry to realise its disruptive potential, creating the key ingredients to make cultivated meat production scalable, affordable and profitable. Their first product, Proliferum M, grows muscle, fat and connective tissue using a unique formulation and ingredient design process. Multus is an alumni from EIT Food's Accelerator Network (EIT FAN) programme.
- Ed Steele - Hoxton Farm. Hoxton Farms is growing real animal fat - without the animals. We combine stem cell biology and computational modelling to cultivate animal fat as a sustainable, delicious food ingredient.
- Thomas Farrugia - Beta Bugs. Beta Bugs is an insect genetics company that develops and distributes breeds of Black Soldier Fly to the insect farming industry. This simplifies the insect farming process, whilst enabling insect farmers to access breeds tailored to industry needs. Beta Bugs is an alumni from EIT Food's Accelerator Network (EIT FAN) programme.
The Science Entrepreneur Club (SEC) is a non-profit organisation of curious minds that aims to explore and unite the life science ecosystem by educating, inspiring and connecting. We give scientific entrepreneurs a network and a platform to showcase their innovative technologies, find investors and accelerate their company.
About EIT Food
EIT Food is Europe’s leading food innovation initiative, working to make the whole food system more sustainable, healthy and trusted. Through our Entrepreneurship activities, we support Europe’s best and brightest entrepreneurs to launch new businesses and startups to accelerate commercialization and scale their businesses across Europe and abroad. Join our community of impact entrepreneurs to gain access to a flourishing agrifood ecosystem and fast-track your business to the next level!
About Investor Ladder
Investor Ladder is an invite-only network of the most active investors in science and technology. Our network includes investors at all stages, from individual Angels through Venture Capital to Early-Stage Private Equity and Investment Banks.
Why is EIT Food taking part?
EIT Food is delighted to support the Alternative Protein Challenge. We will provide an overview of EIT Food and the support we offer startups innovating in the agrifoodtech space. Christoph Mandl, Program Manager Business Creation will present EIT Food's Business Creation offering and Sarah Luiz, Communications Support, will moderate the panel discussion.
EIT Food is driving innovation and entrepreneurship across Europe. Join Europe’s largest agrifood startup community to meet like-minded entrepreneurs solving global food system challenges with science and technology based innovations. We organise training programmes & events to help you launch, accelerate and scale up your business. Our 2022 entrepreneur programmes are open for applications. Join our entrepreneurship community and learn more here.
Application deadline: Thursday, 31st March, at 23:59.