The students teams built up an extendible prototype of a database including (1) occurrence of plant waste material (e.g. production site, trade level), (2) list plus calculation of the amount of ingredients per plant species and organ (leaf, root, and flower), (3) a simple calculation of the extraction volume, and (4) possible use of the extracted substances (e.g. pigments, carbohydrates, fibers, fatty acids) for processing (nutrition, processing, platform chemical). This information will be part of the developed business note supporting the business worth.
Who should apply
Why should you apply
The participants of this activity will be encouraged to find creative solutions for a new kind of waste management trough international teamwork and scientific exchange. Individually, the students will gain greater awareness of the international and local food system, including waste on all stages of the production-trade-consumer-chain and the possibilities for new business ideas.
Timeline of the programme
- Opening of the application phase until February/March 2019
- Recruitment and selection of students, teams of five students at UNIVERSIDAD AUTONOMA DE MADRID, CSIC, QUEEN’S UNIVERSITY OF BELFAST and UNIVERSITY of HOHENHEIM
- Two-day kick-off meeting at Hohenheim in April/May 2019 with preparation of comprehensive final work plans
- Collection of data at research and in horticultural production sites, trading centers and consumers at each partners location from June to September 2019
- Calculation of the potential for industrial use of several interesting ingredients from vegetable waste material, exchange of data material. Presentation of a database prototype for worthy resources of vegetable waste material and usage possibilities with business note options October until December 2019
Learning objectives and outcomes
Students will learn to make use of scientific and educational toolbox (e.g. webinars, e-learning) to create solutions for the practice along the food chain and possibilities for sustainable waste management. The setup of multinational communication improves the understanding of different stages of plant production and shows new ecological/economical options within different parts of Europe. The students get experience how the scientific education can find application in entrepreneurship.
Deadline for application
Please contact each partner for the requirements for applying (costs, motivation, CV, recommendation letter etc.) and the deadline.