The ROOT: rebooting the food system
EIT Food - System Transformation Leadership Programme 2022
This is the time for the food system revolution!
We have been talking about it for a long time: our food system needs to change to keep our planet – and ourselves – healthy. Now is the time to act. We know the food system is complex, siloed and sticky. It has unwritten and written ‘rules’ and incentives that lead to unhealthy, unfair and unsustainable outcomes.
The ROOT will help to change all this.
Now is the time for an extraordinary community of change agents, innovators and accelerators to energise the necessary revolution in how we grow, trade, market and consume our food. Join this unique programme to value and utilise the potential of like-minded professionals from every corner of our food system. In this senior experiential leadership programme you will be invited to create, leverage and bring together your expertise to rewrite the rules of the game.
Let’s change incentive structures to bring about the changes we know are needed to tackle systemic causes of malnutrition, climate change and agricultural decline.
Learn how to rock the boat, while staying in it to confront one of the greatest challenges of our time.
Senior leaders in the entire food system, including large food company representatives, policy makers, academia, journalist, foodies and other change agents and innovators, can participate in this fellowship.
Right from the start, you will initiate real system changes within or beyond your organization. After the ROOT, you walk away with:
- Knowledge that you can contribute to substantial, meaningful change
- An invaluable network of like-minded change agents, from all corners of the food system
- Communication skills to bridge the silos within the food system
- An inspiring transformative story to involve your network, the EIT Food network, selected media and beyond
- A thorough understanding of our complex food system and drivers for change
- A strategy for real food system transformation that is already being used
- Practical tools and ways of working to become a systems changes leader
- The ability to trigger positive tipping points towards a healthier, more sustainable and more just system
Duration & Dates
The course lasts 10 months, with personal intakes from December 2021 until April 2022. The virtual kick-off happens on the 13th of April 2022 and the course ends on 22nd of February 2023.
Link to full brochure about the programme here.
Structure & Modules
The duration of this programme is 10 months:
Personal Intakes – December 2021 until April 2022
Virtual kick-off – April 13th, 3-5 PM CEST
Understand the nature of our collective quest
Live learning experiences
1. Live learning experience (2 days + pre-diner on Wednesday):
in Copenhagen - 26th (evening), 27th and 28th of April 2022 *
- We will spend these 2+ days connecting to bridge silos in our food system and savouring the lifeworlds of food. You’ll reconnect to your personal purpose, develop your perspective on food systems change and map your current impact. How can we trigger positive tipping points, build trust and lead with others across the food system? You may come away with more questions than answers at this stage – but you’ll know that you have your team to help.
Peer coach circles
In every of the six peer coach circle spread throughout the ROOT, you connect with 4/5 other participants on impact, intention and a guide. Let’s unleash the power of peer-learning using your real-life sustainability challenges. It’s also a thorough way to grow your conversational leadership skills.
Online interactive sessions
A. Sharpen your impact agenda – afternoon, 2 June 2022
Get deeper into the essence of leadership choices and how to navigate through paradoxes. Learn how to focus by using design thinking as a tool.
B. Create leverage in the system – afternoon, 7 July 2022
We’ll deepen our understanding of how structures shape normality, which is at times abnormal, and influence the food system. You will enhance your abilities to negotiate during this session.
C. Reframe – afternoon, 8 September 2022
We will up your creativity. How can you design waste out of your business processes? One way to boost creativity is to challenge our biases by radical questioning.
D. Create a movement – afternoon, 3 November 2022
Possibly the most important challenge: how do we create a movement? You practise your storytelling skills to initiate transformations.
E. Transformative stories – afternoon, 19 January 2023
In this session, you’ll present your transformative story to create a movement. The next generation of systems changes leaders will be coaching you.
Live learning experience,
in Berlin: collective food system change/rally the herd – pre-diner 22, and 23 and 24 February 2023 *
Together, we will create collective agency within the system. You’ll refine your action plan and convene your stakeholders. Map your future impact, sharpen your saw, and pass the baton to the next group of food systems change leaders.
* Live learning experiences are subject to Covid-19 restrictions
Keep me informed about this programme
Rick Koster Owner/Trainer/Programme designer Leaderscope