Inspire - Sustainable Aquaculture
Join this unique 3-weeks programme that will equip you with innovation and entrepreneur tools to have an impact on the aquaculture sector.
Aquaculture is an important source of aquatic food and sector for food security as many wild fisheries around the globe are over exploited or reaching their maximum sustainable potential. As a result, aquaculture has become one of the world’s largest growing food production technologies. Algal biomass production is a rapidly growing field with huge opportunities for entrepreneurs in food production and nutraceuticals. Whilst, shellfish and finfish cultivation and fish feed production present further opportunities.
- Are you eager to tackle challenges in the aquaculture sector and enhance your knowledge and skills by doing so?
- Do you want to learn how to develop a business idea, which will create a positive impact on the world?
- Are you keen to bring entrepreneurial skills to your work and boost your future career in this sector?
Then the Sustainable Aquaculture Inspire programme is for you!
This is unique programme aims to develop a new generation of entrepreneurs and innovators that is equipped to shape a new kind of food system that is innovative, resilient, and sustainable. It is guided by an innovation mindset, where participants will think of solutions for the current challenges in the sector, based on knowledge of technology and its application. You will learn how to turn your ideas into a business proposition with the support and coaching from EIT Food top experts in sustainable aquaculture, innovation, sustainability, and growth strategy. If you want to drive productivity, sustainability and profitability of the aquaculture sector, this is for you!
You will have the opportunity to engage with our leading trainers and mentors on our online, fully interactive learning platform. By learning online with us, you will have a much greater flexibility and the comfort to learn at times and from locations that suit you and from your own home or workplace.
You will be part of a dynamic and supportive environment with the opportunity to engage and partner up with academics, leading companies in the industry and startups working to overcome challenges in the aquaculture sector at the live online events. You will not only have access to Inspire excellent resources but also become part of the inspiring EIT Food community.
Inspire will provide training and theory in:
- Finfish, shellfish, algae biology, culturing, growth, molecular and metabolite analysis;
- Barriers and opportunities within the aquaculture sector from a stakeholders perspective;
- Design thinking, business idea development, entrepreneurial self-efficacy, team building, market research, risk analysis, negotiation, pitching and much more!
By the end of this programme you will be able to:
- Understand the aquaculture sector, including finfish and shellfish culturing methods and algae biotechnology.
- Identify short and long-term future consequences of decisions involving different components of the food system.
- Translate innovations into feasible business solutions for the food sector.
- Think beyond boundaries, and systematically explore and generate new ideas, responding to current and future challenges within the food system.
- Access world leading experts in aquaculture and entrepreneurship who will provide you with invaluable mentorship to help you develop a new business proposition.
- Expand your network and meet new, relevant expertise and businesses who can help you, from farmers to technologists, research to support services.
- Be informed about global job opportunities
The Inspire - Sustainable Aquaculture will be delivered fully online and conclude with a final pitch event with fantastic prizes up for grabs!
We are looking for:
- Aspiring entrepreneurs with a keen interest in the aquaculture and the marine sector, who would love to come up with innovative potential business ideas to revolutionise the industry.
- Masters Students, PhD students, Posts-Docs, young professionals with substantial experience within the aquaculture sector or food system.
- Individuals from multidisciplinary backgrounds to work in teams to come up with innovative ideas e.g. Marine Biology, Aquaculture, Food Sciences, Engineering, Business / Marketing, Informatics and Computational Science, among others.
EIT Food is Europe's leading food innovation initiative, working to make the food system more sustainable, healthy and trusted.
Training in aquaculture and innovation can open new career opportunities:
- Through building an international network that develops relevant work on sustainable food systems.
- Applying apply your newfound entrepreneurship skills to your future career.
- Creation of business propositions based on the innovative solutions for the aquaculture sector developed during the programme.
- By boosting your chances of being employed by start-ups, SME and large corporations across the sustainable food system.
- By improving your chances of being employed in local, national and international food supply chains
- Training on aquaculture practices can make a difference for the current and future generations. The program sets a reference in terms of content, real cases and international network that will benefit participants' opportunities in the market. New business creation decreases the current sectoral unemployment but also fills a gap in sectoral innovation.
Duration & Dates
The course lasts 3 weeks, from November 4th until November 25th of 2022.
If you still have doubts about the programme, join the free webinar on October 13th.
Register at the event to receive the Zoom link: Free webinar 13th October - Get inspire by sustainable aquaculture | Events | EIT FoodHIVE
Audience & Eligibility
Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
More info under Advantages
The fee for this course is 50€ (VAT excl.)
Registration Open & SeatsOpen
LocationOnline, via zoom
Keep me informed
Structure & Modules
This INSPIRE focusing on Sustainable Aquaculture will be a 3-week intensive programme, which provides introductory training and theory in finfish, shellfish, and algae biology, culturing, growth, and molecular and metabolite analysis, under laboratory and small to large scale growth facilities. The programme will also outline the complex set of economic, environmental, technical, welfare, political, and market issues which impact the aquaculture sector, from a stakeholder’s perspective; and encourage students to develop innovative solutions to increase the sector's productivity and profitability. It will include a mixture of online learning materials, webinars, guest speakers, and activities related to sustainable aquaculture production and food security:
- Module 1 – The Food System: Challenges in the food system and the role of aquaculture in taking pressure off over-exploited and plateauing wild fisheries and feeding a growing population
- Module 2 – Aquaculture Production Systems – Aquatic Animals: Introduction to finfish and shellfish culturing methods
- Module 3 – Aquaculture Production Systems – Algal biotechnology: Incorporating both micro and macro (seaweeds) algae and how they are involved in the sustainable aquaculture pipeline.
- Module 4 – Aquaculture governance and society: Covering barriers and facilitators to aquaculture production from a stakeholders perspective; governance in aquaculture and marine management legal and regulatory frameworks; public perception, social licence and behaviour; and engagement, communication and marketing
- Module 5 – Entrepreneurship content: To facilitate the development of innovative solutions to increase the productivity and profitability of the sector
The Inspire Sustainable Aquaculture programme will be delivered fully online.
This programme will take place for 3 weeks from 4th November 2022. Each week will focus on a specific topic. Throughout the programme, you will be provided with a dynamic and supportive environment to explore sustainable aquaculture, develop your entrepreneurial mind-set and learn how you can transform your ideas into business propositions.
The programme will take place online with a combination of online learning resources and live virtual sessions before concluding with a final pitch event on Friday 25th November.
The Inspire Sustainable Aquaculture programme will take place online with a combination of online learning resources; and live interactive virtual sessions:
- Monday 1st November: Access to online learning resources
- Friday 4th November: Live Virtual Kick-off Event
- Friday 11th November: Aquaculture Production Systems Live Event
- Weds 16th – Monday 21st: 4-day Live Aquaculture Industry Showcase & Make-a-thon
- Friday 25th November: Live Aquaculture Pitch Event with Prizes
All of our online live events will take place from 10:00-15:30 CET. They have been designed to avoid online fatigue whilst ensuring you have an opportunity to meet a range of stakeholders involved in the food system and aquaculture sector.
Our online learning resources are available for you to complete in your own time. You will be expected to complete some pre-work, a number of short online quizzes and a final pitch in order to complete the course assignments. We have spread them into 5 key topics areas of approximately 2-4 hours’ worth of content each.
Total course time commitment = 60 hours